Today’s beauty topic is all about that lip scrub. Coming into the fabulous world of make up this was one of the many things I AT FIRST thought was a complete waste of money. Once I actually started to learn what lip scrub did I quickly joined the bandwagon. So here are five benefits to using lip scrub!
1.) Sorry bro but your lips are kinda yucky….
Think of lip scrub as an exfoliator. We have dead skin all over our bodies and in order to scrap off that top layer of dead nasty so that our skin is looking gorgeous we exfoliate. Your lips are no different than the rest of your body in that sense. A good lip scrub will remove the dead surface on your lips.
2.) So the dead skin is gone, big deal…
When you remove the dead layer of skin the new layers are softer and smoother. Again this is going along the same lines of thinking as exfoliating your skin. You get healthier looking lips as well as them being softer and smoother when you use a lip scrub.
3.) Tired of your lipstick coming off midday?
Using lip scrub on your lips before applying your lipstick is going to help with that problem! Lipstick will last longer on your lips if you remove that dead surface. It is also going to look better because the application will be much smoother.
4.) Talk about being kissable…
A good lip scrub will not only help get rid of the dead top surface, create a smooth/soft surface and help lipstick to last longer, it will also helps to make lips moist and help your lips retain that moisture! MUAH!
5.) To really bring it all home…
All of these things lead up to my last reason I believe lip scrub is worth adding to your beauty routine. If you are using lip scrub regularly you will protect yourself from having chapped lips. It makes sense because if you are getting rid of the dead surface skin and adding moisture it is going to help your lips out a good deal. You may be wondering why you can’t just use lip balm and again I’m going to remind you that lip balm is not going to take the dead layer of skin off.
Now are there ways to get rid of the dead surface layer without buying a lip scrub? Yes, and here they are:
- Brushing your lips with a toothbrush
- Rubbing your lips with a wet washcloth
- Using an old mascara brush (cleaned) to brush your lips with
Will these techniques help remove that dead skin layer? Yes. Will they moisturize your lips? No. However if you are in a pinch they may be the way to go.
If you are super crafty you can also make your own lip scrub to save money. I’m not super crafty but I know some of you are! So here are a few links (click on the names) to some DIY lip scrub. Again I’ve never made these myself because that is really not my thing so I’ve chosen recipes that looked really cool to try and who knows maybe one day I’ll be ambitious!
- The Sweet Scrub: I chose this one because it looks really simple to do (I love that) since it only uses two ingredients. Coconut oil, which I live by anyway and sugar. The sugar is going to rub off that dead surface layer while the coconut oil will moisturize. If your looking for a quick recipe that will save you money this is the way to go.
- Peppermint Mocha Lip Scrub: This one is sounds a little trickier to concoct in my opinion, but again I’m not a big DIY girl so don’t take my word for it! I chose it because it sounds heavenly. Seriously, peppermint mocha? YUM! It also has the added bonus of including a homemade lip balm recipe for those of you who really want to go all out! In order to make this recipe you are going to have to make sure you have coconut oil, coffee grounds, cocoa powder, sugar, and peppermint essential oil.
- Chocolate Lip Scrub: Finally check out this chocolate lip scrub. This one also requires a bit more ingredients than the first one (sugar, cocoa powder, olive oil, vanilla extract, and honey) but the author says that she only spent 5 minutes prepping everything and 5 minutes putting it together. That’s only ten minutes to create a delicious sounding, not to mention money saving, lip scrub!
So we’ve talked about lip scrub hacks and DIY lip scrubs, but what if you’re like me and just want buy some? I’ve got you covered. Click on the names to be taken to the product!
- e.l.f Lip Exfoliator: You can order it online off their website or pick this up at your local Wal-Mart or Target no problem. Super nice thing about this lip scrub is it only costs $3 and is cruelty free! If you’re on a budget, but don’t want to go the DIY route this is the scrub for you. That being said you should also keep in mind this product is made in China so we do have to acknowledge the fact that it’s low price is due to the low wages the company pays their workers. Cruelty free to animals, but maybe not so much to people.
- Velour Lip Scrub: This is a lip scrub produced by Jeffree Star Cosmetics and can be bought online. While this lip scrub is more expensive then the e.l.f. brand at $12 I find that it is worth the upcharge once you take a closer look. You can buy Velour Lip Scrub in five different scents/tastes (pumpkin spice latte, root beer, strawberry gum, mojito, or spearmint), it is cruelty-free, vegan, and Paraben & Gluten- free. Velour Lip Scrub is also made here in the USA. Why does that matter? You get the peace of mind of knowing that this product was not made in a sweatshop.
I recently upgraded to the Velour Lip Scrub (FYI mojito is my jam) and I couldn’t be more pleased. It goes on great and I personally feel it moisturizes better then the e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator. So in my opinion if you have the funds I would go with the Velour Lip Scrub!
You’ve heard a lot from me today and I would love to hear back from you! So here’s what I want to know:
- If you try to make your own lip scrub tell us how it goes! Or if you already make your own lip scrub and want to share the recipe please drop us a comment.
- If you buy your lip scrub like me what’s the brand you’re currently digging? Variety is the spice of life you know. What works for my lips might not work for everyone’s so I think it’s good to have options. Bonus points if you add whether it is cruelty-free, vegan, or made in the US. If you’re not sure that’s okay post it anyway! I’ll find out for you, scouts honor!
- Finally comment below with any feedback on this post or suggestions for future posts. I’m really striving to make GrimmGirl a very open community and I’m always trying to improve things to make it a better and more helpful site.